Sunday, December 19, 2010

Verzichten (to do without)

For the last little while (few months) I've been eyeing Android phones. Now the phone I've been waiting for came out in the states and I have an opportunity to get friends to bring me one across the border. The dilemma is that this would put me back $600-$700 which is quite a bit since we just bought a house.

Carol knows how much I've been wanting one of these so she said she'd strike a deal: I get the phone but don't get anything else until we do the first largish renovation in our place (which she really wants). This didn't strike me as fair since she's always cheap and I always end up getting the expensive things I want. So I changed the deal and told her that I should hold off on a smartphone until we've done the first largish reno. This is fair.

This brings me to the point of this post (if anyone is still reading after these two paragraphs). The point is that we have so much stuff and usually just get whatever we want. In the "developed" world we don't usually know what it means to forgo something. We're like kids. The more toys we get the less we value the toys we already got. For me this means that forcing myself to forgo a smartphone for the near future means that I realize I actually have a lot of "stuff" to play with. There's the camera, the guitars, projects around the house. When we actually forgo one thing we might realize that what we have is already more than enough, maybe even too much.

I should really value my stuff more instead of letting it catch dust in a corner.

1 comment:

Lon said...

Great post - i'm sure it took some resolve - that nexus s is looking pretty good - always better stuff around the corner though!